Monday, August 21, 2006

[academicsecret] 8/21/2006 03:31:28 PM

I haven't done much skinny-dipping, unfortunately, but I like to post pictures of the indie (esp feminist) bands I like on the walls of my office. I go pretty crazy at a show of a band I really like, dancing around and screaming when others just bob their heads (I live in one of those places where it's supposedly not "cool" to dance at shows.) I also still like to dance around in my bedroom. I love music so much that I've occasionally thought I should have worked it into my dissertation somehow, but now I'm really glad I've kept myself from writing about certain things. I've also come to take a secret pride in believing it a little impossible for me to be a "real" academic, in part because I prefer indie rock to jazz, work out to Le Tigre, and own concert Ts from bands many of my colleagues have never heard of, much less heard. The only bad thing is that you can probably only act this way for so long; eventually I'll be some old geezer fondling my Sleater-Kinney CDs and moaning about the good old days of music (actually since S-K just broke up, this might happen sooner than I thought).

--
Posted by Poppy Red to academicsecret at 8/21/2006 03:31:28 PM