Monday, August 21, 2006

[academicsecret] 8/21/2006 12:49:14 PM

Hey Wild Blue Twilight.. I was actually trying to go in this direction with my post on kissing a while back. I wasn't as explicit as I could've been perhaps, but part of what I wanted to convey in that post was that academia gives us the ability to lead another life in the middle of a random workday. Obviously this isn't as easy as it sounds in the middle of the semester, but it is a possibility on occasion. You disappear for a few hours, you reappear a bit later, and no one knows what you did. They don't know the difference between a meeting you may have just had with some colleagues in another building, or the great afternoon playdate you just extended for a few additional hours. (And I don't mean at Chuck E. Cheese in this case.) I think so far that's my biggest and most interesting secret, the number of morning or afternoon intimate exercises I have managed to work into my schedule. I certainly don't mean to exaggerate how often this happens, but over the years I think it's been a very productively relaxing part of my on-the-job time.

Is it a different self per se? I'm not sure. But I am highly doubtful people around me have had any idea about these extracurriculars so it seems to be at least a secret self.

--
Posted by Orange Ina to academicsecret at 8/21/2006 12:49:14 PM