Tuesday, August 29, 2006

[academicsecret] 8/29/2006 01:35:18 PM

It likely wasn't Friday since I don't think his show is on on Friday. (I figure they figure his main audience goes out on Friday. I figure they sometimes figure wrong.)

I don't think of Oprah as particularly funny, but I also don't have that much experience with her. That said, I agree that she is *very* important in getting information out to the public.

And Jon Stewart, absolutely certainly! That said, my impression is that you have to be fairly savvy to get some of those jokes. So it's not for everyone necessarily, which is a bummer. (Oprah is better that way, in my opinion, in reaching lots of people. But the gender of her audience is probably less varied.)

Humor is important in communicating lots of messages to people. (Life is Beautiful, anyone?) Should anything be wrong with that? I mean, sure, some topics perhaps should be beyond humor (Life is Beautiful, anyone?), on the other hand, can be extremely helpful in certain situations that are otherwise hard to endure (I won't say it one more time).

Well, this comment is perhaps going further than you had intended.. I guess I'm into free association this early in the academic year.

--
Posted by Navy Blue Blob to academicsecret at 8/29/2006 01:35:18 PM