Monday, August 28, 2006

[academicsecret] 8/28/2006 05:14:09 PM

In the article, it sounded like sharing too much was bad because it forces you to confront the truth about yourself and that might hurt your self-image. Is it better to pretend to yourself that you're okay?
I've only shared one secret so far, but telling someone how little work I've been doing has actually made me feel like I should do something about it. Whereas trying to pretend I'm being productive just makes me feel more guilty and want to avoid work even more.
I would have thought sharing too much would be a problem if other people's negative reactions reinforced a negative self-image, or if other people used the information against you.
I think a.secret is a good place to share some things because someone else can generally identify with the secrets and nobody knows who you are, so neither of those things are likely to occur.

--
Posted by Dandelion to academicsecret at 8/28/2006 05:14:09 PM