Monday, August 21, 2006

[academicsecret] 8/21/2006 04:55:18 PM

Turquoise, I *have* worried about seeing my students at concerts. I used to teach at a somewhat conservative school, so I would have been really surprised to see any of my students, but now I'm going to be adjuncting at a place where it would be a much more likely possibility to see a student. It never occurs to me until I'm actually there (which is part of the separate lives thing, I think). I'm sure seeing a student would change my behavior at the show, though I wouldn't mind simply seeing them. It's a lot better than running into them at the gym, which is the worst! (But I refuse to pay for a gym membership!)

(Have you ever seen the commercial, sadly I think it's for McDonald's, where the kids realize because of the color of their teacher's sneakers that he was crowd surfing at the show they'd just been at? I love that commercial.)

I think I would be pleasantly surprised to see a colleague. Once I brought a grad school friend to a show where I knew I was going to go crazy (this friend shares a lot of music interests with me but had only recently been exposed to the band in question), and right before the music started I suddenly worried that we would be, I don't know, at a conference or something and she would get a sudden mental image of me screaming and jumping around. But since we're more than just grad school friends, I decided to go for it anyway, and it seems to have worked out ok so far (and I have some stuff on her, anyway).

--
Posted by Poppy Red to academicsecret at 8/21/2006 04:55:18 PM