Tuesday, August 29, 2006

[academicsecret] 8/29/2006 02:26:11 PM

As a total Jon Stewart devotee (love both the Daily Show and the Colbert Report), I suppose I am not objective. Humor is an absolute "moral imperative" to quote Real Genius.

That said, I think Jon is talking only about mainstream media. Certainly it is impossible to say there is a lack of social criticism out there. It is all over the places I inhabit. One could argue that the mainstream media has never been particularly adept at criticizing phenomena for which they are partly responsible. I would, however, say they are good and a subtle and insidious forms of social criticism. Prime examples: 1) Continuing espousal of a dangerous and exclusionary definition of patriotism. 2) Routine indictment the socioeconomic independence of women.

With that sort of assault, humor is merely an embolitic prophylactic.

Just my three cents.

--
Posted by Sulphur Siren to academicsecret at 8/29/2006 02:26:11 PM