Saturday, August 26, 2006

[academicsecret] 8/26/2006 01:40:23 PM

Salmon, I work in a full-time job similar to what you had before (instructional design, web development, etc. at a university). I'm also a full time grad student. I often get asked if I can help out with special projects (usually those involving technology).

I have to say no. It's hard but I have to. I don't have the time to take on another project on top of a very demanding job and school schedule. But I also get paid well for what I do and I've had to learn this just like anyone else learns skills. These are valuable skills that deserve to be treated with the same respect as that PhD'd professor's skills deserve. They took time to hone and get to the level where they are desirable.

I think I'm fortunate. My advisor tells me not to volunteer for anything. She wants me to focus more on my studies and my work and not get too involved in the other things. I can use her as a shield, if need be (and the need does occasionally arise) to say no.

Stick to your guns. You did the right thing.

--
Posted by dawn to academicsecret at 8/26/2006 01:40:23 PM