Wednesday, August 16, 2006

[academicsecret] 8/16/2006 10:21:40 AM

And here you thought you'd run out of stresses to blog about, Salmon. :)

I agree with chartreuse and believe that the teaching assistantship will go well. In no time at all you will feel like a pro in the area and it will all come quite easily, I'm sure. I have a TA who's never taken a class in the area of the course - either grad or undergrad - and I have complete faith in her and her abilities.

Daycare issues will be more difficult. You and your partner will obviously have to find a place other than the campus childcare that you're both confident in and I wish you luck with that. It's not an easy task.

With childcare, sick children are a given. My son was sick so much his first year of daycare (my first year of grad school). While, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with taking a sick child to class with you, it's not always pleasant. They're sick and cranky and irritable and even the angel child could be a terror under those circumstances. I assume that your partner has sick time. Is it possible that you make a pact that sick days that fall on lab days are his responsibility?

Good luck to you. I don't doubt that there are moments in the coming semester that you'll feel overwhelmed, but at the end, when you've made it through, you'll feel really fabulous. Trust me.

--
Posted by fraud, in denim to academicsecret at 8/16/2006 10:21:40 AM