Wednesday, October 25, 2006

[academicsecret] 10/25/2006 05:40:27 PM

Ugh. This hits close to home because I'm trying to break my son (who's not yet in college) of this habit.

When a student addressed my sixth grade science teacher with "Hey," he'd say, "Hay is for horses." I will never, ever forget it. I don't know if you want to say that, but I promise your students won't forget it either.

If it's email and you'd like to be less direct you could just model how you'd like it addressed to you and sign it with your preferred title (this is what I did to combat the ever-present Miss/Mrs. Fraud).

In the future, or even now, you could clarfiy for your classes the best way to address a professor. In my freshman class especially I give clarifications like this often, usually under the guise of pointers on how to succeed in the next four years of college.

--
Posted by fraud, in denim to academicsecret at 10/25/2006 05:40:27 PM