Friday, October 20, 2006

[academicsecret] 10/20/2006 02:26:23 PM

I'm grading comprehensive exams this morning. I didn't ask to grade them. I was assigned to grade a question.

I am a researcher who uses primarily qualitative methods. There are two statistical tests that I have used and understand decently enough. So basically, here's my secret: Despite acing my stats classes when I was a student, I really don't understand stats at all.

Today that leads to another secret: I am grading exam questions that require me to in part look at student knowledge of stats. I was afraid to ask to be assigned another question because I don't want my fellow faculty members to know that I can't do this. They are so heavily biased toward quantitative research that I wonder why they even hired me, and they unfairly assume that my in-depth knowledge of qualitative research must just be an add-on to knowledge of quantitative.

Thankfully they do all seem to be aware that they do not have a clue about qualitative research.

I'd fess up, only I've heard them mention how critical it is that everyone understand statistics (and I'm not just talking about basic stats) again and again and again.

That felt good to get out. Maybe I need a blog.

--
Posted by Anonymous to academicsecret at 10/20/2006 02:26:23 PM