Tuesday, October 24, 2006

[academicsecret] 10/24/2006 10:26:10 AM

I think I'll say something in the next class.

When I made the brief gripe about the lack of quality of the papers I'd received and the IM language it was in the few minutes before the students started an exam. I'm sure that being hyped up on nerves exacerbated any fuzziness and only one person thought to clarify as she was leaving (and I thought that surely she must be the only one to think that so made no effort to correct it via email).

In all honesty, the people who cared enough to try to write in the third person were still some of the best papers because they listened to what I said about these being real college papers.

I'm a big believer in grading for ideas, but the recent display is disgusting. I teach at a school that's supposed to be the cream of the crop and students are turning in papers that haven't been proofread, with simple mistakes and typos (I mean like typing las instead of last and lugged instead of luggage), not to mention the causal internet speak. As I address that, I'll address the IM/"I am" misunderstanding.

--
Posted by fraud, in denim to academicsecret at 10/24/2006 10:26:10 AM