Saturday, October 07, 2006

[academicsecret] 10/08/2006 03:38:14 AM

Strawberries speaks the truth. In my experience, the most successful people in academia aren't the smartest, the craftiest, the hardest working, the nicest, the coolest, the funnest... the anything-est. Grad school unfortunately sets up a situation where the opinions of other people matter a lot more than they should. Our advisors, our colleagues, family. Sometimes it seems like the only opinion that doesn't matter is our own.

But here's what I think: You should be doing what you really want to do, period. There is no shame in being "good." We don't always have to be great in every moment.

Whenever I think my advisor's disappointed in me, I always think to myself, "You know, I'm a human being, and this is my life. I intend to enjoy my life. So, your opinion means a lot to me, Advisor, but if it's between feeling anguished because I'll never measure up to your standards, or hanging out with my family and being a normal person, it's really no contest. Sorry." Just my opinion...

--
Posted by Apricot to academicsecret at 10/08/2006 03:38:14 AM