Sunday, October 08, 2006

[academicsecret] 10/09/2006 05:40:37 AM

quoting Apricot:
Whenever I think my advisor's disappointed in me, I always think to myself, "You know, I'm a human being, and this is my life. I intend to enjoy my life. So, your opinion means a lot to me, Advisor, but if it's between feeling anguished because I'll never measure up to your standards, or hanging out with my family and being a normal person, it's really no contest. Sorry." Just my opinion...

First of all, thank you Apricot for that comment- I totally needed to hear that myself tonight.

Second of all, Dandelion, one way to think about your situation is not so much whether or not you should be in grad school but how you can do grad school 'your way'. Leaving grad school is a pretty big decision, and a lot of people seem to spend a lot of time and energy agonizing over it. Can you think of staying in grad school on your own terms? My terms include not trying to be 100% productive 24 hours a day, like my advisor wants me to think she is. Some of my friends have kids, and their terms inlcude spending quality and quantity time with the little ones. All I'm trying to say is that you have more options (and control) than just staying or leaving.

--
Posted by thistle to academicsecret at 10/09/2006 05:40:37 AM