Sunday, October 08, 2006

[academicsecret] 10/08/2006 11:26:16 PM

I'm sorry that you're struggling through this, Dandelion. It's not easy to be in a position like your own, wondering where you belong.

That said, I think that grad school is all about either making it because you love it (because you're likely going to have to want to do this for the rest of your life) or deciding to drop out because it might not be for you.

Grad school not being for you is not an act of cowardess or a sign of failure. I could never work in sales because it's just not my style. Some of the smartest - and even most driven - people I knew didn't make it through grad school because they figured out that whatever they were pursuing wasn't their style and they let that be okay.

It all depends on how much longer you have - I mean you can be an overqualified salesperson - but if you're early in your program, and seriously thinking this might not be for you - there's no shame in moving on to something different.

Also, if you don't want to leave, I recommend use the (perceived/real) questioning of others to fuel your desire to prove them wrong! It's worked well for amny before you.

Just know that whatever you decide is okay.

--
Posted by fraud, in denim to academicsecret at 10/08/2006 11:26:16 PM