Thursday, September 21, 2006

[academicsecret] 9/21/2006 10:03:05 PM

Fraud, I certainly understand how being called by your first name isn't as annoying. I think alot of it depends on how you see the teacher-student relationship; being on a first-name basis can imply a level of openness that is useful for generating a good dialogue with your students. I know many faculty who encourage use of first names.

I might be more sensitive to it because I work in a school where the vast majority of the students and faculty are male, and being taken seriously as a professional expert in this domain is hard for most women. For example, almost all of the women faculty compensate by wearing full business suits to teach, while the guys can go more casual. Insisting on being called professor is one way of trying to get them to take me seriously in the classroom.

--
Posted by Anonymous to academicsecret at 9/21/2006 10:03:05 PM