Wednesday, September 13, 2006

[academicsecret] 9/13/2006 11:21:04 PM

I'm sure I've cried more than once in a professor's office, Dandelion, but the only time that I could remember was this past year, choking back the tears in my department chair's office, as we talked about options after I discovered I wasn't the first choice for a job I'd been hoping for. I think that's what was so hard about today. The student wasn't really crying at first, she was trying desperately not to cry.

The reach for the kleenex box and acknowledging the emotion was like a slow-motion sort of golden moment, Sienna. Maybe it is instinct, or imagining my own child struggling like that (not that I think she's really struggling). I don't know. I'm not looking forward to more of these moments. I'm just entirely socially awkward for these tearful meetings.

Thank you both for chiming in, and I hope you're having a better day, Dandelion.

--
Posted by fraud, in denim to academicsecret at 9/13/2006 11:21:04 PM