Thursday, September 21, 2006

[academicsecret] 9/21/2006 07:36:48 PM

A male colleague, who intestingly isn't even a Dr. yet, said that he's never been called Mr. Know-It-All. Students always call him Professor or Dr. Know-It-All.

It's probably because he never corrects them.

I've never been called Prof. Ella or Dr. Ella to my face before, but I do get e-mails to Professor Ella (and one the other day to Proffessor Ella), which to me just indicates the students don't really understand what being a professor entails. I don't overtly correct them, but I do sign my name Salmon. If they were speaking to me and called me Prof. or Dr. Ella, I would correct them, but in e-mail it just seems kind of weird.

Re. the gender aspect, that's interesting, and I have more to say, but I have to run be a professor, er, I mean, TA.

--
Posted by Salmon Ella to academicsecret at 9/21/2006 07:36:48 PM