Tuesday, June 05, 2007

[academicsecret] New comment on Hypocrisy!.

Salmon Ella has left a new comment on your post "Hypocrisy!":

i think it's a complete error to assume that you can wait it out until they get older and it will all be easier.

I think my main point is that when kids are older, they are expected to go to school, and the time that you will have when they are in school is a given. People do not frown upon kids going to school 20-30 hours a week, but the same cannot be said about daycare.

Kids of all ages require lots of time and energy, obviously.

I'm not 'waiting it out'--I'm grinding through it. However, I do fully expect things to get easier when I'm finished with my course work (which will free up many hours a week), finished taking qualifying exams, finished with my thesis, etc., etc. Yes, I know, those things can be replaced with writing grants and teaching and serving on committees and whatnot, but honestly, I have never had anyone tell me 'Oh grad school was the easiest time of my life and things just got harder from there!'



Posted by Salmon Ella to academicsecret at 6/06/2007 4:59 AM