Thursday, November 16, 2006

[academicsecret] 11/16/2006 06:45:12 PM

I've been reading/observing this blog for some time now and I've been coming back to it because a) I find it enjoyable; b) as a graduate student myself I find this environment comforting and familiar.
So forgive me if I'm crossing some line now but it seems to me that the worry that your secret identities might be revealed is preventing the blog from developing in its full potential. (This is a recurrent worry is it not?)

Perhaps I should put this in the form of a `paradox': Assume: purpose of anonymous blogging is freedom of expression. But if one were to express oneself freely then one's identity would be revealed. Therefore, one must not express oneself freely when blogging.

I am trying to say that you have a dilemma---either keep the content of posts generic enough to be un--traceable; or say what you want to say (within reasonable limits of course) and risk, erm, `exposure'.

So perhaps you could ask yourselves:
How realistic is it to expect that what you say here could be traced back to your person?
If what you say does get traced back what would the consequences be?
Is the combination of (risk of exposure) plus (undesirable consequences) significant enough to warrant caution in what gets said?
If so, what would this mean for the blog? Is it worthwhile to have it, will its purpose have to be re--evaluated, etc?

I guess because I may come off as pedantic I could give you a secret to redeem myself (for what it's worth). I have a recurrent fear that my colleagues think I'm a bimbo. One of my fears is that one day `they' will realise that I'm not supposed to be here (or they have realised already but haven't been able to get rid of me yet).

--
Posted by Anonymous to academicsecret at 11/16/2006 06:45:12 PM