Tuesday, July 24, 2007

[academicsecret] New comment on twenty-four/seven academics.

fraud, in denim has left a new comment on your post "twenty-four/seven academics":

I think it's all a farce, Apricot. The average academic does not work these 80 hour weeks that they brag about. I thought that about Iowa, too. I drove through it years ago and saw not one stalk of corn. Of course it wasn't the right season, but I labeled it a farce and have never let that go.

My view, Anon (and I have to give my partner credit for this because it probably wouldn't be my view if we weren't wedded to one another, but I've adopted it as my own), is that wherever you end up, you work your behind off so that you could get tenure at any of the places that actually give tenure to assistants.

I'm not at a highly ranked school, but I'm not really relaxing or taking it easy. I'm working like I would have had I gotten a job at a top-ten department. That way I'm almost assured tenure here, but I'm also allowing myself to get recruited to one of those top schools later in my career.

That said, I probably sleep better than I would have had I gotten a job at a top school. :)



Posted by fraud, in denim to academicsecret at 7/24/2007 9:01 PM